Updates whenever!!!!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Killswitch... Eng- eh nevermind

Today I have something a little different. A few months ago I started listening to the greatest guitar player of all time, Buckethead. If you know of him, then you know that he is very proficient with the kill switch on his guitar. This inspired me to install a kill switch of my own onto my Fender Stratocaster.
This is my guitar.

This is not my guitar.

But I sure wish it was.
Anyways, see that little red dot on the one that's labelled as my guitar? That wasn't there a few months ago, but now it is. This is what I did.

Unfortunately I did not take enough pictures to make a tutorial. But basically what happened was this: I took the strings off first of all. Unscrewed and removed the faceplate to uncover the electronics. The red dot at letter 'A' is where I drilled a hole for a momentary switch that I bought from Radio Shack. I mounted it onto the faceplate nice and firmly. I kind of wanted the switch to go at letter 'B', however that would involve drilling into the body at 'X', which I really did not want to do. Instead, by mounting at 'A' I had plenty of room, as you can see circled, to set it right next to the volume pot.
With a soldering iron, I carefully soldered two wires onto the switch and the other ends on the volume pot center and rightmost terminals. I think the center was a ground wire and the right was hot connection. (Do not use this as a tutorial, please, this may be correct, and it may not.) That's all it took really. I had the option of installing it at the cable connection instead, but I heard stories of annoying 'pop' noises coming out of the amp every time the button was pushed when connected to the cable terminal.
Here's a look at the finished product from another angle.

Thanks a lot for reading, I hope you enjoy what I am doing with the blog so far. Make sure to follow me if you do and leave some comments and reactions even if you don't.

26 comments:

  1. A guitar kill switch does exactly that. It kills all audio output by shorting the volume pot, allowing no sound to go out. It is capable of making some pretty interesting effects. Take a listen to Jordan by Buckethead. Also, Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine is famous for using a kill switch as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice work, and nice guitar, i would love to have one too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Followed!

    wallpaperwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Awesome. Good post as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh so THAT'S what a kill switch does...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brian May > Buckethead. But not by much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My boyfriend will love this. However, I think he is a little too fond of his guitars to take them apart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ... I totally have no idea what most of this was about, but my sibs like guitar alot, might want to show them this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice, I love homebrew guitar mods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on the kill switch!

    Following

    blundersfrom6foot2.blogspot.com
    androidnews4u.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's very cool that, a a musician, you really know know instrument in and out. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buckethead the greatest guitar player of all times? All technique, no soul. :S
    Try Rory Gallagher, young Clapton and such.
    But, ok, de gustibus non est disputandum.
    Anyhow, I never had the courage to open up one of my guitars. I don't think I'm skilled enough to do it. :S
    Following and supporting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I installed my own humbucker in my strat. Turned out awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool stuff mate, I wish I was that much of a handy-man, my guitar could sure use some work.
    Following.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Glaucon

    I'm deeply debating putting a humbucker in there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so skilled. I would have made that guitar explode.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm learning guitar now, hopefully soon I'll be as good as you

    ReplyDelete
  18. Killswitch engage fuckya

    following for fucking intense interest

    ReplyDelete
  19. lol you have more talent then i good sir

    ReplyDelete
  20. my brother loves buckethead, so he added a killswitch to play with. he used my guitar in case he messed it up though hahaha

    http://randomramblingggg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete